Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1.11.2011

This is new to me. Thinking about it now, I have never exactly assessed my writing, for every time I have written something; it was never on the subject of my own writing. Thinking in terms of my strong points, I would say that I tend to do well in creative writing, random prompts, poetry, and descriptive writing. I despise writing term papers, lab reports, and informational essays. They're boring. I just can't get into it. I love looking at a picture such as this one:

and writing something random about it. The colors, the randomness of it all; it just inspires me to write. I would choose writing over math and science any day of the week. I believe that writing above all, is the most important skill to learn. It is the first thing someone notices about you. How well you are able to communicate speaks volumes. This all right now, me writing, is reminding me of one of my weaknesses when it comes to writing; organization. My thoughts spill out ten times as fast as I can type, so things are usually pretty scattered. That might be why I choose to write creative pieces and poetry, because there really are no rules for those. If it's truly your own thoughts, I don't think there is a need for format.
Grammer and punctuation: Well, I don't really know what to say about those. I tend to pay more attention to those issues in formal writings.
Another weakness of mine would be finishing strong in a paper. I will have great initial thoughts, but I will get to a certain point and have a hard time finishing the required amount of words. Just like I am struggling right now to reach 500...

Also, I'm not exactly sure how formal this blog has to be. Should I not be talking in first person? Oh, that reminds me of another weakness; agreeing tenses. I forget sometimes whether or not I am speaking in the past or present. That sometimes gets me into trouble.

Other random things that inspire me:

Emotions evoke the best writing that will come out of me. Falling in love makes me sit for hours just reading lyrics; usually it ends in a headache or a heavy feeling in my chest. More times than not, I am never exactly "inspired" to write anything, instead I would just find a perfect lyric or paint something. There is always that rare occasion, however, that will actually make me write something. The hate part of the Love Hate relationship between me and writing, comes from High School. I just remember dreading those countless amounts of useless papers I had to write- except for my senior year. We wrote satires on anything we wanted; I, of course made fun of MLA format. Oh, that's another thing; MLA. I absolutely despise writing in that format. There are way too many rules. It's not even fun. I feel like I can't write any thoughts.

Well, I have just reached 526 words, well now it's more. Until the next blog...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a really delightful read, Rachel! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy creative writing and I encourage you to look into taking a creative writing workshop while you are here at Penn State.

    Fortunately, these blogs are places where I simply want you to get your ideas out as best you can -- in first, second, or third person. All of these points of view have their place and purpose in the world of writing, their own distinct sets of abilities and flavors. If first person comes most naturally to you, I encourage you to write first person. Also -- it would be sort of impossible to reflect on your own writing without writing in first person, no? So feel free to write in whatever voice feels best at the moment.

    As for term papers and lab reports and what not -- you are right. Those are very different types of writing, but honestly, they are no less creative. Hopefully, in this class, I can show you how to apply your love of poetry and free writing to more structured types of work such as argument essays or scholarly articles.

    I will agree -- I too can't stand unnecessary rules. Unfortunately, MLA is a necessary evil, as silly as the rules may seem. It exists so that we have a universal way of making sure that we are giving credit to those authors who are informing our work. Intellectual theft is an important issue in writing and MLA is one of those annoying little guides that makes sure that no one is being robbed of their hard work. I'm sure you'll come to appreciate it someday...even if you never like it ; )

    -Denise

    ReplyDelete