Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Memoirs, not of a Geisha.

Funny How much this actually means...



After reading Denise Grollmus' (also, my English teacher) memoir of her experiences on tour with The Black Key's and her boyfriend, I noticed many elements of which a powerful memoir should include. From the unique and powerful descriptions of what really was, to the actual experiences in which can pull on one's heartstrings, Denise 'hits the nail on the head' of what a memoir should be.

The key element of a memoir that really impressed me in this particular memoir, was the dialogue she chose to use. While shocking, and vulgar, it really allowed me to understand the circumstance, and scene of the "grungy london basement music"...that's what I'm going to call it.

I am sensing some sarcasm in this dialogue here, but at the same time it's what really was

"Blow," answered Har Mar.

"Nobody does cocaine," I said. "It's so '80s."

"That's why I like it," he said.


Also, while recalling a woman she had met, this particular quote really takes everything she wanted to tell the audience about, and wraps it into one quote:

These are my old stomping grounds," she said. "I blew John Bonham in a room upstairs. Keith Moon fucked me with a banana and licked Marmite out of my hair."

I love it. It's so real. I really would love to be able to discuss my most interesting moments, not leaving behind any details. The spacing on this blog is really bothering me, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Another characteristic she uses from Harbrace, is significant experiences. What she choe to share with the audience (and judging by the fact that it was in SCENE, an alternative scene magazine, she was aiming at those who are aware of The Black Keys, The Bright Eyes, and those kinds of bands. However, I believe this story has more meaning than to simply get out information of the tour. I think it had to do with life as we know it, how Home really isn't just where your love is. It's where you are comfortable. It's where you can be yourself. It's where everything you know and love is a phone call away, and you can meet your friend at a coffee shop. Denise found that upon return. She was home in Ohio.


But anyways, Significant experiences are important because they give the purpose, in my opinion. What experiences are you going to take into account that will really get the point of the story across? THose are significant.

Pathos is most certainly present, for I was able to connect in many ways throughout the memoir. The emotions are everywhere.


* I just want to say I know who the Black Keys are and most of the bands that were mentioned in this memoir. I thought it was more interesting because of that...

No comments:

Post a Comment