Monday, January 24, 2011

S-h-i-t Drafts




I really enjoyed Lamott's piece about "shitty rough drafts". That is my kind of writing. Sarcastic, humorous, but in the same breath sticking to the point, and getting her point across.


3. From what Lamott has to say, is writing a first draft more about the product or the process? Do you agree in regard to your own first drafts? Explain.

I will use Question 3 to guide in my response to this.


I believe that writing a first draft is ultimately about the final product-- or else why would you be doing it in the first place? With that said, I also think that it is just as much about the process. You are not going to get to that final product, or achieve that goal without going through the process of writing various drafts. Even if it means that first draft is literally a few jumbled words or phrases jotted down to get your ideas out.

I could relate to almost everything in this reading. Every single person is different-- even when it comes to writing. So, there will be those who can write something perfectly the first time, just how they want it. Then, there's the people that rely on those shitty rough drafts and sketches in order to achieve their product. For me, personally, I think I need that rough draft. My thoughts pour out so quickly. There's no way I could organize all of my thoughts on the first try. Just to relate it to the memoir assignment- it is important for me to make a Rough Draft, not only to get a good grade, but to make sure I explain all of the events in my mind the way I need them to look in order to convey that message to the reader.

This reading illuminated the idea that it is perfectly okay to need a shitty first draft. I love that a well known writer worded that into a piece. So many people do it, so it should be more recognized, and I'm glad that she did.

I am definitely going to approach the rough draft differently this time, and not stress when something is not perfect. Before, I would try very hard to get it right on the first try. By the time I would go to finish the final product, I would barely change anything with the exception to grammar and spelling.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the visual! What a great visual representation of this piece...and the writer's process in general.

    Nice work! And thanks for mixing up the media.

    ReplyDelete